No bug Facebook share is not sharing Image with article

• Sidhaartha Makhija
  • Topic Author
6 years 4 months ago #630 by Sidhaartha Makhija
Facebook share is not sharing Image with article was created by Sidhaartha Makhija
Hi!

I have installed your plugin to my website www.deshvidesh.news but when I share the article on facebook, it does not share the article image.

Please help me resolve the issue.

Regards,

Sidhaartha Makhija
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 4 months ago #631 by Ruud van Lent
Replied by Ruud van Lent on topic Facebook share is not sharing Image with article
Hi Sidhaartha Makhija,

thanks for your question: Cool that you are using jsSocials!

Let me explain how this works and then explain how you can solve it.

When sharing to Facebook, Facebook only expects an URL.
So what jsSocials does is 'tell' Facebook: this is the URL that I want to share.

Next Facebook will visit this URL and 'Crawl' the page to find the image, the text, etc.

Facebook identifies this information via special metatags: the Facebook OpenGraph tags.
The tag for the image is e.g. og:image
when looking at the 'source' of one of my blogs, you can find these tags
Code:
<meta property="og:type" content="article"> <meta property="og:url" content="https://onlinecommunityhub.nl/community-tools/the-best-way-to-show-social-sharing-buttons-in-kunena"> <meta property="og:title" content="The best way to show Social Sharing buttons in Kunena"> <meta property="og:image" content="https://onlinecommunityhub.nl/images/opengraph/image-com_content-96-tc.jpg"> <meta property="og:site_name" content="onlinecommunityhub.nl"> <meta property="og:description" content="Social Sharing buttons are a great way to get your message across to your potential customers and to generate traffic to your website. They should be fast, in line with your website UI AND consistent over all pages on your website. Kunena comes with ..."> <meta property="og:updated_time" content="2017-11-25 10:49:23"> <meta property="og:image:alt" content="The best way to show Social Sharing buttons in Kunena"> <meta property="og:locale" content="en_GB"> <meta property="article:modified_time" content="2017-11-25 10:49:23"> <meta property="article:published_time" content="2017-11-25 10:35:09"> <meta property="article:section" content="Community Management">

Unfortunately your website does not implement these OpenGraph (or Twitter Card) tags correct.

When I try to open the image URL that is provided in the og:image tag I get a 403 forbidden error: Facebook will get the same error and thus not display the image :S

So there is the problem, how you should fix is up to you. Looks like you have blocked some access. Not sure why :)
  • Sidhaartha Makhija
  • Topic Author
6 years 4 months ago #632 by Sidhaartha Makhija
Replied by Sidhaartha Makhija on topic Facebook share is not sharing Image with article
Hi!

Thanks for replying.... Please let me know what access is required to offer the right solution.

I am not a coder so not much technical.

If you give me steps I may try to resolve the issue.

Regards

Sid
More
6 years 4 months ago #633 by Ruud van Lent
Replied by Ruud van Lent on topic Facebook share is not sharing Image with article
Hi sid,
This can have multiple reasons:
* access rights to these file could be wrong
* you could have an entry in your .htaccess file that prohibits direct access to these (.jpg) files
* etc.

impossible for me to trouble shoot :(
With a tool like Akeeba Admin Tools you can check and set the correct rights to directories, if the error is not in there I would ask your hoster as to why these files are not accessible
  • Sidhaartha Makhija
  • Topic Author
6 years 4 months ago #634 by Sidhaartha Makhija
Replied by Sidhaartha Makhija on topic Facebook share is not sharing Image with article
hi!

This is strange as for some articles the images are displaying and when my friend is sharing from the website she is able to share the article along with image.

Any idea what may be the cause.

Regards,

Sid
More
6 years 4 months ago #635 by Ruud van Lent
Unfortunately I do not have a clue... As said, I cannot troubleshoot this.
See my previous post for tips
More
6 years 4 months ago #636 by Ruud van Lent
I also noticed that you configured K2 to set the S(mall) image as Facebook image. This is not good: facebook requires that the image has a minimum resolution. When to small (and the Small image is), Facebook will look for another image on the page or omit an image when not found.

You should set the image in K2 to the XL (highest possible).

Hope you are able to fix the 403 error!

Feel free to post when you have an issue or feature request for jsSocials!
regards,
Ruud.