Important Notice (11 May 2020)

ochJSsocials LIGHT is now available for download WITHOUT a registered account. For support and automatic updates via the Joomla 'one-click' Updater you will need a FREE subscription. This subscription will give you a Download ID you can configure in the plugin's advanced tab (starting from version 1.2.0).
You will need to download and install that version manually.

Research Full Size Image Light Box

This ad is inserted via ochCall2Action and displayed via ochAddAds
Looks like Google ran out of ads to serve... or do you have an ad blocker activated?

• Tim Davis
  • Tim Davis's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #1283 by Tim Davis
Full Size Image Light Box was created by Tim Davis
Hi Ruud,

I have a client who asked me to install ochresponsiveimages on his site and to ask you a question as well.

He would like to have an image automatically available to pop up full size in a light box, regardless of the size of the responsive image being clicked on.

Is that possible currently, or would it be a possible option to be added?

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #1284 by Ruud van Lent
Replied by Ruud van Lent on topic Full Size Image Light Box
Hi Tim,

So if i understand correct: the images should be made responsive / converted to webp by ochResponsiveImages. Additionally a 'onClick' event should be added to the images that, on click, would open the largest version of the image in a popup window.

If correct > this is currently not part of ochResponsiveImages as, as the name of the plugin says, it is designed to make images responsive 'as is', not to add additional functionality that has (imo) nothing to do with 'responsive'.

Although this could be build into the plugin, question then is (for me as a developer) how would the popup image need to be displayed. There are a lot of 'frameworks' out there (light box being one of the many) to display a popup image. For me this is important as I want the plugin the be not only build for one customer, but to 'fit' the most possible.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

• Tim Davis
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #1288 by Tim Davis
Replied by Tim Davis on topic Full Size Image Light Box
Hi Ruud,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I guess I didn't subscribe for notifications.

Yes, you are understanding correctly.
I used the term "light-box" generically - it sounds so much friendlier than pop-up.
The only image popup I use is JCE-MediaBox which comes with JCE editor:

JCE MediaBox Displays media (images, flash, youtube, quicktime etc.) in a customizable inline popup. Includes a tooltip function. CREDITS: Based on and inspired by... TinyMCE by Moxiecode - tinymce.moxiecode.com Light theme inspired by...

As a new feature such a popup only needs a few basic settings and some CSS that could be customized. For the basic settings I could see:

- Popup width size as percentage
- Border thickness
- Border color
- Page shaded in background (yes/no)

The image being clicked on could have a magnifying glass in the lower corner to show it is expandable and the popup would need an "x" to close it.

Not being a developer I don't have any insight into whether going with an existing popup is better or having your own.

Tim

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #1289 by Ruud van Lent
Hi Tim,
no problem, will ping you on twitter as well just to make sure you get the notification :)

as for the lightbox: this is implemented using clientside JavaScript (and css). There are a lot of opensource candidates out there, most of them based on jQuery (that is no nogo for me as that then also carries the load of the jQuery framework).

The one you are describing is what JCE Mediabox looks like, for me that looks a bit 'outdated'. I have found this one myself that could be implemented: biati-digital.github.io/glightbox/

So how this works is that you can manually add a (configurable) class name to the image (but also video / iframe) and then the JavaScript will handle the rest.

ochResponsiveImages will load the css and JavaScript and initialise the element with the (configured) class name on the page.
ochResponsiveimages could also be setup to add the class name to the images it handles on the page.

This would then be an additional feature to ochResponsiveImages making it a completer toolkit and givig you as site developer some powerful image handling options.

I have just done a quick scan of 'pure javascript open source image viewers lightbox' projects, the package we select here should be 'popular', maintained and 'light', so if you are able to also search / investigate or maybe provide me with some example websites that have a good lightbox implemented, that would be great.

As for the timeline. i have currently a 'big' update in the works where ochResponsiveImages will also handle non-image elements (e.g. a div) that have a css background-image set (like the fullpage images you see on my front page). I will be releasing that in September (will be on holidays the next 4 weeks and do not want to run the risk of breaking things when I am mainly off-line). So after that is released and we have a good JavaScript 'lightbox' I can start implementing that.

What do you think?

• Tim Davis
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #1290 by Tim Davis
Replied by Tim Davis on topic Full Size Image Light Box
Thanks for the ping on twitter. I remembered to subscribe to this post as well so both worked.

This all sounds very good - it's wise to wait until after your holiday before you break things.:lol:

The big update sounds exciting - I'm looking forward to what you have cooked up.

More
2 weeks 14 hours ago #1293 by Ruud van Lent
Holidays are spent in 'low maintenance mode' so will not be releasing a popular plugin with the risk of spending my free time behind the laptop :)

While in holiday mode I'll ponder on how to implement this and if there are other cool things that we could do.
If you could have a look at a good 'lightbox' script pure JavaScript, no jQuery, Open Source) that would be welcomed. Maybe ask your network? that would then also help spread the word / this plugin :)

And thanks again for thinking along, really appreciate it!

regards,
Ruud.

End of content

No more pages to load

Forgot your password? / Forgot your username?