Infinite Scroll... (05 Mar 2019)

You may have noticed it, on the forum pages that have more then one page, the pagination links have 'gone'. Instead these pages now 'Infinite Scroll' via a new plugin I am working on. It will automaticalliy load new topics / posts when scrolling down... How cool is that :)
You can test it on this thread: onlinecommunityhub.nl/forum/jssocials

Implemented Social Sharing with Ignite Gallery

This ad is inserted here via ochCall2Action

Joomla! Volunteers Portal

• linkage
  • linkage's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 months 6 days ago #851 by linkage
Social Sharing with Ignite Gallery was created by linkage
This message contains confidential information
The topic has been locked.
More
3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #852 by ruud
Replied by ruud on topic Social Sharing with Ignite Gallery
Hi John,
Thanks and the best wishes for you to!

I have had a quick look at the pages you sent me: looks great!

What I see is that the ignite component and with it the built in sharing buttons rely heavily on client-side JavaScript. in other words: the page is served to the client and the javaScript is taking over the controls: like adding the #imagename to the url.

What happens is that you are not sharing the image, but you are sharing the page (with a reference to the image via the #)

Now for regular sharing that will be sufficient, but what it misses are the for that image (page) relevant metatags (openGraph / Twitter card). When we install ochOpengraph, these will be generated server-side and served one-time with the page.
The challenge here is that the server has no idea what the visitor is looking at (as the images switching is done client-side) and the page for the visitor is static.

So on page level we can probably extend ochOpenGraph with Ignite functionality (if Ignite is following Joomla's API) > the page is generated and get's its own set of metatags that will be used on the Social media platforms when sharing. browsing the images on the page will NOT change these tags as this browsing is done client-side without rendering a new page from the server.

ochOpenGraph has the Custom image option where you can define what the image name is like: img-[component]-[id].jpg
So in this case when viewing gallery with id 10, ochOpenGraph would look for image: img-com_igallery-10.jpg

In theory :) as said, need to have a look at your test site.

but first need to know if this would work for you, or if I'm looking at it completely wrong :)

EDIT:
igallery is not triggering content plugins, so I have added a custom module to the pages with the opengraph tag in it. I have altered ochopengraph a little but as POC and did a quick mockup on hte igallery category view. Just add /index.php?option=com_igallery&view=category&igid=3 to your test site and when you look at the page source you see that it fetches the custom image for that category (only twitter:image).
Last edit: 3 months 6 days ago by ruud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: linkage
  • linkage
More
3 months 6 days ago #853 by linkage
Replied by linkage on topic Social Sharing with Ignite Gallery
Thank you Ruud!

I'm fairly clear on what you are suggesting and I like the ideas. Generating a .jpg with a corresponding id is pretty straightforward and would be easy to implement in my workflow when preparing the images for galleries.

I'm not clear on the final outcome with your idea ...would the ability to share individual images through the lightbox still be possible as in the igallery demo ?

The discussion I'm having with Matt essentially comes down to which method I choose to pursue for the overall organization of the site: Option 1 is to keep my old method of articles which contain either links to galleries or links to articles containing further galleries, or option 2, which is to use the igallery component to generate pages.

For option 1, I have added a menu item to Print Shop>"Pans by Category Test" which uses an article with a table and links to each article containing galleries:
www.2018-testing.linkagephoto.com/panorama-prints-by-category
(your code for the module appears at the top)

Option 2 is here:
www.2018-testing.linkagephoto.com/print-...anoramas-by-category
(code for och module missing)

For an individual category, Option 1 using an article:
www.2018-testing.linkagephoto.com/autumn-scenes-panoramas

and Option 2 using igallery:
www.2018-testing.linkagephoto.com/autumn-scenes

Of course, breadcrumbs and URL's have to be taken into account also :)

From your point of view and for social integration, is either option preferable?

For myself, the igallery method means I can add new galleries going forward and won't need to create corresponding articles, and in some cases (where a new gallery is a child gallery of a parent) I wouldn't necessarily need to create a new menu item either. The big question I guess is, does this method restrict my options or capability of optimum social sharing?
More
3 months 5 days ago - 3 months 5 days ago #854 by ruud

linkage wrote: I'm not clear on the final outcome with your idea ...would the ability to share individual images through the lightbox still be possible as in the igallery demo ?

This is not possible. the limitation is in the way igallery handles the display / browsing of the images: client-side.
ochOpenGraph metatags are recreated on page generation (when you visit the page), as do all the opengraph plugins.
Because igallery doesn't generate a page when you switch the image in the gallery, no new metatags are generated.

The discussion I'm having with Matt essentially comes down to which method I choose to pursue for the overall organization of the site: Option 1 is to keep my old method of articles which contain either links to galleries or links to articles containing further galleries, or option 2, which is to use the igallery component to generate pages.

If I was Matt I would add a method in JavaScript that not only switches the page URL (with the hashtag to the displayed image), but also set the og:image and twitter:image metatags with the displayed image.
This is the only way to do this, ochOpenGraph can in theory handle all images that it has control over, but it cannot handle images that are set client-side as there is no connection. So generating the metatags via the igallery script, or via a custom script that gets triggered when the page url changes, is the only way forward.

Not doing it this way would always share the same image for the page regardless of what image is displayed.

For option 1, I have added a menu item to Print Shop>"Pans by Category Test" which uses an article with a table and links to each article containing galleries:
(your code for the module appears at the top)

Option 2 is here:
www.2018-testing.linkagephoto.com/print-...anoramas-by-category
(code for och module missing)

For an individual category, Option 1 using an article:

and Option 2 using igallery:
www.2018-testing.linkagephoto.com/autumn-scenes

Of course, breadcrumbs and URL's have to be taken into account also :)

From your point of view and for social integration, is either option preferable?

My preference would be to go the igallery route. but that is because I do not like the extra work in generating additional menus etc.

For myself, the igallery method means I can add new galleries going forward and won't need to create corresponding articles, and in some cases (where a new gallery is a child gallery of a parent) I wouldn't necessarily need to create a new menu item either. The big question I guess is, does this method restrict my options or capability of optimum social sharing?

Optimum social sharing can only be reached when changing the metatags is implemented client side. Otherwise you will only have a different image (on social media) per category / menu / article.
Last edit: 3 months 5 days ago by ruud.
  • linkage
More
3 months 3 days ago #855 by linkage
Thank you for all of that great info Ruud. It is most helpful.

In the end, I have gone with a compromise. I'm using the Ignite Gallery Category menu item for the directory page:

...however all of the categories from there have redirects to corresponding article pages. This gives me the advantage of the directory layout that I like and it automatically updates as I add, publish, un-publish the sub-categories. From there, it was going to present problems in Ignite if I wanted to display a 2nd and level category + 2 (or more) third levels on a single page, but using the articles I can reference any number of categories through the Ignite plugin. I already had articles for all of these pages too from the original site and that is what all of my main menu nav pointed to. The end result is that whether you get to Autumn Scenes Panoramas from the directory page or menu, this is the result"

I have passed along your info to Matt and we'll see ...might be something he can work towards in a future release. For now, I'm going to install ochOpenGraph and start playing around with JSocials buttons/layout. Strangely, I have unpublished the custom module you created but I still see code for it in my browser (as in the above link)??

For anything I already have as articles, I can choose an Intro Image in Joomla, set up ochOpenGraph with "I" as priority, and as long as I'm not displaying a category view of the articles, the only thing that image would be used for would be og, would it not? And so the only time I would need to use the id method is for pages generated through igallery component, correct?

Ideas from here?

Many thanks,

John
  • linkage
More
3 months 3 days ago #856 by linkage
Sorry, I didn't see och listed under components so I didn't realize you had installed the plugin. Not sure why we would see the code on front end in the content area though? I'll wait to hear back from you before installing/uninstalling anything.

Thank you :)

John
More
3 months 3 days ago - 3 months 3 days ago #857 by ruud

linkage wrote: I have passed along your info to Matt and we'll see ...might be something he can work towards in a future release. For now, I'm going to install ochOpenGraph and start playing around with JSocials buttons/layout. Strangely, I have unpublished the custom module you created but I still see code for it in my browser (as in the above link)??

Oops :) I have installed an altered version of ochOpengraph to show me some debug info, thought I had reinstalled it with the normal release.

For anything I already have as articles, I can choose an Intro Image in Joomla, set up ochOpenGraph with "I" as priority, and as long as I'm not displaying a category view of the articles, the only thing that image would be used for would be og, would it not? And so the only time I would need to use the id method is for pages generated through igallery component, correct?

Correct, going the Intro image route would work. if that image also shows on other views is depended on your template. or if you use latest articles module etc.
If you want to be sure that there are no conflict, you can also add a Custom Field to the articles that will hold the opengraph image. That way you seperate things and there will be no unexpected behavior when something else (like acymailing) uses the introimage.

linkage wrote: Sorry, I didn't see och listed under components so I didn't realize you had installed the plugin. Not sure why we would see the code on front end in the content area though? I'll wait to hear back from you before installing/uninstalling anything.

You can uninstall or re install the ochOpenGraph version you have downloaded from my site (0.3.8 )
Let me know of this works.

regards,

Ruud.
Last edit: 3 months 3 days ago by ruud.
  • linkage
More
3 months 2 days ago #858 by linkage

If you want to be sure that there are no conflict, you can also add a Custom Field to the articles that will hold the opengraph image. That way you seperate things and there will be no unexpected behavior when something else (like acymailing) uses the introimage.

Ah yes, I think we discussed this for my other site. I'm going to give this a try. Strangely, the fields component didn't make it in the update of Joomla for this site ...I hadn't noticed until now. It's there in discover so I'll do it manually.

I have just downloaded latest 0.3.8 so I'll install a fresh one of that. I'll let you know if I have any issues.

Going forward, hopefully Matt will implement your recommendations down the road. For now, I do have a separate article for each of these images too. If you follow the "Buy Print" link (under the light-box version of any image) you land on the appropriate page for that image. I have to create those articles in order to have them as products in the J2store. So I do have a means of sharing each individual image for my own purposes, and users could too if they figure that out. More often than not, if I want to share or promote an image, this is the way I do it as I want the visitor to land where they can purchase of course :)

Thank you, happy weekend!

John
More
3 months 2 days ago #859 by ruud

linkage wrote: Strangely, the fields component didn't make it in the update of Joomla for this site ...I hadn't noticed until now. It's there in discover so I'll do it manually.

It is a core component so it is always installed (starting from 3.7) you can create the required article fields in the back-end > content > Fields / Field groups, same for User Custom Fields (but then under menu Users)
In the documentation page of ochopengraph there are some instructions on how to set ACL , etc.

Going forward, hopefully Matt will implement your recommendations down the road. For now, I do have a separate article for each of these images too. If you follow the "Buy Print" link (under the light-box version of any image) you land on the appropriate page for that image. I have to create those articles in order to have them as products in the J2store. So I do have a means of sharing each individual image for my own purposes, and users could too if they figure that out. More often than not, if I want to share or promote an image, this is the way I do it as I want the visitor to land where they can purchase of course :)

You can even have the image that you share have a watermark or call2action on it when displayed on the Social media platforms.

regarding the recommendations for Matt, my remarks are 'theoretical' as we only share an url to e.g. facebook. Facebook will visit that url and fetch the opengraph information on the page that is then served. Switching the opengraph info via javascript, will then only work if facebook has javascript enabled when fetching the page, etc. I really have no clue :unsure:

But when you have a joomla article per image, then that is not relevant anymore.

Thank you, happy weekend!

John

Same to you John!
  • linkage
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #860 by linkage
Hi Ruud,

It is a core component so it is always installed (starting from 3.7) you can create the required article fields in the back-end > content > Fields / Field groups, same for User Custom Fields (but then under menu Users)

It wasn't installed for some reason when I updated this site from 3.6 (in November, when I started this dev sub-domain), but like I said, I found it and all of the individual plugins in "Extensions>Manage>Discover" and installed them manually.

In the documentation page of ochopengraph there are some instructions on how to set ACL , etc.

I followed the instructions (things are slightly different ...step 4 "In the ochOpenGraph plugin go to the [Advanced] tab" ...these are now under the "OpenGraph Settings" and "Twitter Cards Settings" tabs (correct?) and I believe I have set these up correctly however, for my first test the images are displaying on the front end:

https://www.2018-testing.linkagephoto.com/virtual-tours

This message contains confidential information

You can even have the image that you share have a watermark or call2action on it when displayed on the Social media platforms.

What would the call2action be used for (an example?) and how would I set that up?

Thank you,

John

End of content

No more pages to load

Forgot your password? / Forgot your username?