Implemented Remote download

More
2 years 8 months ago #1688 by joomill
Remote download was created by joomill
The new access tool page shows the downloads, website download or remote download.
Is it possible to show which url is the remote download?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #1689 by Ruud van Lent
Replied by Ruud van Lent on topic Remote download
Hi Jeroen,

'website' download is when the download is done via your website manually, the user clicking on the download button and opening or saving the file.
'remote' download is when the file is downloaded by the user's webserver / the one click Joomla updater.
'watchful' download is when the key used to to authorise the download of the file is the watcful key, either via a downalod on the watchful.ly website or via the Joola one click updater when the user set the watchful key as download id (both keys work)

So there is no URL (or I understand your question incorrect)

More
2 years 8 months ago #1691 by joomill
Replied by joomill on topic Remote download
Indeed, there is no URL at this moment.
My request is if it's easy to add the remote URL to this page so i can see which websites are updated.

More
2 years 8 months ago #1693 by Ruud van Lent
Hi,

this is not possible.
normally when a visitor visits your site via a link on another site, that information is available as the referer variable in the request.
Joomla (updater) however, does not provide that information, so the only information available is the ip address of the remote site.

I understand that the referer information would be nice to have, based on that information it would even be possible to do a validation in ochSubscriptions (so you could have a 'license' per domain.)

The only way to solve this is to have your own remote extension 'ping home'. You could do that in e.g. function prepareUpdate($package) where you then set e.g. a extra query parameter domain=[example.com]

Issue here is that this can easily be 'tampered' with by the user as it is on shared / open code

More
2 years 5 months ago #1828 by Ruud van Lent
Hi,
in version 2.2.0 of ochSubscriptions I have added an additional event: onDownloadGetExtraData

This event gets the download URL and header as input. It can be used with method onInstallerBeforePackageDownload where you can add information to the URL / header.

With this event it is possible to e.g. get analytics information from your customers like used php / joomla / sql version of the site that is using the update. The catched information can be stored in the logging table > field extra_data

You can sent in anything, so also e.g. the domain name of the site doing an update of an extension.