No bug Joomla update: empty changelogs in latest versions

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #2397 by Dmitrijs Rekuns
Hi Ruud,
I also noticed the changelogs are empty when we see then via Joomla Updater.

It saves a lot of time to see what's new in each release and there is no need to go at the dev's site and find the latest version. A good  that you've implemented such feature. but would be good to update manifest.

Just FIY.

Eugene
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Dmitrijs Rekuns.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 month ago #2398 by Ruud van Lent
Replied by Ruud van Lent on topic Joomla update: empty changelogs in latest versions
Hi,
changelogs are working and populated only not displayed for packages.
I have reported this a long time agon on the Joomla bugtracker, but nobody cares (as nobody is using this anyway... something like that).

I'll put it on my todo list, but to be honost: contributing to Joomla is something I'm not doing anymore as it is to 'tyring' :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dmitrijs Rekuns

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #2399 by Dmitrijs Rekuns
Replied by Dmitrijs Rekuns on topic Joomla update: empty changelogs in latest versions
Can you give a link to Github discussion or where you have reported this issue, please? I am not sure about Joomla tracker,  but as for Github - I'd be glad to support your request.
Eugene
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Dmitrijs Rekuns.

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #2401 by Ruud van Lent
Replied by Ruud van Lent on topic Joomla update: empty changelogs in latest versions
Issue is that when installing / updating a package the <changelogurl> is not set into the #__extensions table (like it does for plugins, components, modules)
So when you request the changelog, it will get this object back from the query:

but as you ca see in the package manifest, the <changelogurl> is set correctly.

This is the github issue / PR (note: october 2021):  github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/35794

As a new year resolution I decided that contributing to Joomla was taking a too high toll on my wellbeing :S, so I deleted all my Joomla repositories (including these PR's).

PS: when adding the changlogurl that is set in the package manifest manually into the #__extensions table, this is what you get :)

Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Ruud van Lent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dmitrijs Rekuns

More
1 year 1 month ago #2402 by Dmitrijs Rekuns
Replied by Dmitrijs Rekuns on topic Joomla update: empty changelogs in latest versions
Oh, it is a pity to hear that...
Anyway, you did the best to help in such question.

Eugene

More
1 year 1 month ago #2403 by Ruud van Lent
I know Eugene,
It is easier to work around issues in core then to contribute.
I have thought of adding logic in my installer script for this package that then 'manually' adds the missing database field, but that would then only solve my own packages, not the changelog for your packages...

So not sure what to do here, what I am sure of is that I will not 'engage' in yet another monolog with myself in the PR's I provide :)

So maybe you can place a comment below that PR stating you are facing the same issue and that then will wake somebody up?

More
1 year 1 month ago #2404 by Dmitrijs Rekuns
Ruud, the issue is closed on Github - I am not able to leave a comment there...

More
1 year 1 month ago #2405 by Ruud van Lent
Hi Eugene,
I see that it is closed due to me deleting all my Joomla forked repositories.
I think it is best to create a new issue pointing to this PR.

New issues are monitored, PR's are not as I learned

I think this is the best way to get this on the agenda of the people responsible / accountable for the code that needs changing.

More
1 year 1 month ago #2407 by Dmitrijs Rekuns
Hi Ruud,
Oh. It seems it will take too much attention and activity from all of us. Especially, when the old PR is deleted.
The task is not so important in general. Let it keep as is.

Eugene

More
1 year 2 weeks ago #2460 by Ruud van Lent
Just ran into this bug myself again, so I decided to open an issue on the Joomla Issue tracker. That way the Joomla maintainer can decide themselves on if / when / how to fix.

issues.joomla.org/tracker/joomla-cms/40056