Joomla! 4.0 (Alpha) ready!
Do you even feel disappointed, or even wronged, when people register on your website or subscribe to your newsletter with a Disposable or temporary E-mail account? When they download your free ‘goodies’ that you worked so hard on and ‘thank’ you with a bouncing email address, leaving you with no possibility to contact them, for support, news, etc.
Do you ever feel bothered by the fact that people using disposable or temporary email accounts are most likely to spam or offend other members of your website, just because they have that ‘invincible’ feeling of being ‘anonymous’ and ‘untraceable’. Do malicious activity, spam bots, and internet trolls come to mind?
Or do you just want to make a statement:
if you don’t trust me with your real e-mail account, why trust me and my services at all...
Time to stop User Registrations and Newsletter Subscriptions with Disposable Mail addresses on your website!
With the ochStopDMR system plugin, you can check every mail domain that a user uses to register on your website or subscribes with on your AcyMailing mailing list.. When a user registers or (configurable) when a user changes his user profile, a request is made to an external API that checks the domain part of the E-mail:
- to have a valid mx-record in the domain’s DNS record;
- to have a valid TLD (Top Level Domain): checked against a daily updated Root Zone database;
- to not be in a 18K+ (and daily growing) maintained Disposable E-mail Domain names database.
The system plugin works with the Joomla! (3.9.0 introduced) onUserBeforeSave trigger and will work with all extensions (like Kunena, rd-subscriptions) that use Joomla! Users and follow the Joomla! API / Coding Standards.
NEW in version 0.2.0: Now also works for AcyMailing! Automatically check (and handle) all your newsletter subscribers!
When a user registers or updates his e-mail account to a disposable account the following error will be shown to the user (this is using the default Joomla! core language string (JGLOBAL_EMAIL_DOMAIN_NOT_ALLOWED), so it is available in all (installed) languages!):
The email domain [used black listed domain] is not allowed. Please enter another email address.
Is this Guaranteed, 100% stopping Disposable E-mail registrations?
Unfortunately no. Even with 18 thousand+ disposable domains, the user may find himself ‘lucky’. As with all security measures, this is a ‘cat-and-mouse-game’ where new Disposable E-mail domains are created on an almost daily bases. But there is also a community out there that is scavenging the internet for these (new) domains and when found share them.
What I see in practice is that they try two or three different Disposable domains at most and then just give up and use their real E-mail account.
Can I help?
Yes you can! When a new user registers on your website and it turns out that his e-mail domain was ‘validated’ but shouldn’t have been, you can always reach out to me so I can add it to the database and spread the word on the Internet. The same goes for false positives: when a user wants to register with an e-mail account that is flagged as Disposable but isn’t, you can directly whitelist it in the plugin and contact me too.
What about privacy?
In order to maintain this service, only the domain part (the part after the @) is sent to the API and is logged. This allows me to find new disposable domains that were not already in the database. Emails are not stored and logs will be removed when handled or on a monthly bases.
Why choose Online Community Hub?
Our extensions are trusted and installed on over 2.000 websites!
- Latest Joomla! and PHP versions: We're always developing our components in the latest Joomla! and PHP environments!
- 100% Open Source and GPL licensed: You can make as many changes to the code as you require, the code doesn't stop working when your subscription ends.
- Responsive design (mobile first): All extensions are as responsive as possible built on the Joomla! built-in Bootstrap 2.x.x Library!
- Joomla! One-Click update support: All extensions are being shipped with Joomla! One-Click update support, this means you don't have to upgrade manually anymore! The only thing you need to do is make sure you have entered a valid Download Key!
- Coding Quality: We code compliant to Joomla! Coding Standards and Joomla! API guidelines. This makes the readability and maintenance of the code a breeze!
- Service and Support: We have trust in our capabilities and believe in transparency; therefore our support is handled via the forum which is open to everybody. No secrets here!
- All extension subscriptions have a 30 days money back guarantee: If it doesn't do what we advertised, we will fix it. If we can't you get your money back... no questions asked.
Do you have an awesome idea for a new extension or a feature request for an existing extension: feel free to reach out to us! We would love to work with you on making it possible.