No bug The image does not appear on twitter or whatsapp

• Josean Telleria
  • Onderwerp Auteur
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1749 door Josean Telleria
The image does not appear on twitter or whatsapp werd gestart door Josean Telleria
Hello,

We don't know why, but with the 2 OCH plugins installed for social networks and opengraph we can't get it to work for Twitter and WhatsApp. On Facebook and Linkedin it works.

Can you help us with the correct configuration please?

www.haztegiikastola.eus/es/noticias/noti...la-erosteko-laguntza
Discussie gesloten.
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1750 door Ruud van Lent
Beantwoord door Ruud van Lent in topic The image does not appear on twitter or whatsapp
Hi Josean,
thanks for reaching out.
I have just tested your site in the twitter card validation tool ( cards-dev.twitter.com/validator).
This is the tool from twitter with which you can test a page (how it will look on twitter), and by doing so cached versions of the page (by twitter) will also be renewed.

As you can see in the image below it looks okay, so no changes needed.

Whatsapp dito, it works here for me:

only thing missing is the inclusion of the twitter-bot in your robots.txt (see here: onlinecommunityhub.nl/documentation/ocho...ntent-plugin#faq-t-t)

So to me everything is working correct.
Discussie gesloten.
  • Josean Telleria
  • Onderwerp Auteur
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1751 door Josean Telleria
Beantwoord door Josean Telleria in topic The image does not appear on twitter or whatsapp
Ummm, I see, you've copied the URL and pasted it into each social network. If you do the same by clicking on the share buttons you'll see what happens, there's the error.
Discussie gesloten.
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden - 2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1752 door Ruud van Lent
Beantwoord door Ruud van Lent in topic The image does not appear on twitter or whatsapp
When clicking the sharing buttons, this is what happens:
  1. the title / text url are sent to twitter
  2. twitter will visit the url
  3. twitter will read the twitter: tags
  4. twitter will download and process the image
step 2 > 4 can take some time. So although in the initial screen the image is not showing (because twitter doesn't update that screen when the image is fetched and processed), sharing it a second time will show the image. 

and the resulting tweet:

Laatst bewerkt 2 jaren 7 maanden geleden doorRuud van Lent. Reden: image result on twitter
Discussie gesloten.
  • Josean Telleria
  • Onderwerp Auteur
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1753 door Josean Telleria
Beantwoord door Josean Telleria in topic The image does not appear on twitter or whatsapp
And WhatsApp? On windows for example it doesn't work in Chrome or Firefox.
Discussie gesloten.
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden - 2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1754 door Ruud van Lent
What I have read is that this can differ between whatsapp versions (even android / iOS). issue here is that we can only comply to standards (they advice) but how they (whatsapp) then implements them is out of our control :(

my test was on linux / firefox / whatsapp

edit: just tested the whatsapp sharing button on my mobile (android 11): it shares with image as intended.

Laatst bewerkt 2 jaren 7 maanden geleden doorRuud van Lent. Reden: additional test result
Discussie gesloten.
  • Josean Telleria
  • Onderwerp Auteur
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1758 door Josean Telleria
Hello,

The good news is that WhatsApp is working, it could be a cache issue, which is why it was not working yesterday.

But with Twitter we still can't, we wait a few seconds for it to appear, and it doesn't come up. Not even trying it the second time... is there something we didn't understand in your explanation?

Thanks
Discussie gesloten.
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1759 door Ruud van Lent
Hi Josean,

The only thing you can do is click the twitter button, nothing more / nothing less.
What then happens is that the share dialog is opened. Note that this dialog is NOT part of ochJSsocials but is a twitter page shown in the popup window.
That is how sharing works for these platforms: the platform present their own page for sharing.
They control what happens on that page, as said the only thing we do is open that page in a popup window.

Now there are two way to get an image into a tweet:
  1. uploading the image as part of the tweet
  2. using th twitter tags > twitter:image with the location of the image
We are using the twitter:image method, so when you share the page url with some text (title in this case), twitter will read the twitter tags from the page and display the tweet according to these set twitter: tags.
So even when you do not see the image in the share dialog (the twitter share page), you will see the image in your twitter timeline (as shown in the screenshots from my account above).

I also sometimes use tweetdeck instead of the twitter client. Tweetdeck (which is also an official twitter app) doesn't show the image, just the text and the url). now when you click the tweet in tweetdeck then the whole tweet is shown (including twitter:image). but that is a tweetdeck client app 'feature': again, we have no control on how the implement features.

So in short; you are doing everything correct and we are dependent on the twitter patform (e.g. performance) if the image display directly or will be displayed later on.

btw. did you whitelist the twitterbot in you robots.txt (as explained in the f&f page i shared earlier)?
previously this was mandatory as when the twitterbot was not whitelisted, nothing was shared. Nowadays they have a 'workaround' so even when the twitterbot is not whitelisted, they somehow still manage to get the info. Maybe the workaround takes more time?

De volgende gebruiker (s) zei dank u: Josean Telleria
Discussie gesloten.
  • Josean Telleria
  • Onderwerp Auteur
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1770 door Josean Telleria
Perfect! The problem was that the robots.txt had not been read by the bot and was not working yesterday. After a few hours it is working.

Thank you very much!
Discussie gesloten.
Meer
2 jaren 7 maanden geleden #1771 door Ruud van Lent
Cool!

glad it worked out :)

will close this topic, if you have any other question you can create a new one.
regards,
Ruud.
Discussie gesloten.