This extension is deprecated and cannot be purchased or renewed. Active support for this extension will end together with the ending of support for Joomla 3 on August 17th, 2023.

No bug recovered text does not exceed 140 characters & my suggestion

More
3 years 11 months ago #1180 by Hervé
Hi Ruud

New component purchased, here are my questions:
1 / The recovered text does not exceed 140 characters even if I put 400 characters in "Max. Description text length ”! I tested on 4 different sites! How to increase it?
2 / where to find the file to translate the part in front-end in French?

My opinion
Apart from the problem of the recovered text, it is simple and it works well.
However I find that it is problematic to have a different component from com_content.
Indeed I would have liked:
***** compatibility with all com_content compatible extensions
**** use the joomla layout
*** organize content with joomla tags
** use other custom fields of joomla
* do not use categories (because limited to 1 category)

3 / In short, my suggestion would be to extract the core of the functionalities to integrate it into com_content. Is it not possible to make it a plugin to do the "Validate Source URL and fetch information" and add the few fields (custom field?) Necessary?
It's already a unique extension but it seems even more powerful to me?

4 / less important but more ergonomic and easier to use for a new submission from a new internet user;
put the text to be written/shared at the end of the form. The first time I saw the form, it did not encourage me to propose a new one!

Regards
The topic has been locked.
More
3 years 11 months ago #1206 by Ruud van Lent

HDcms wrote: Hi Ruud

New component purchased, here are my questions:
1 / The recovered text does not exceed 140 characters even if I put 400 characters in "Max. Description text length ”! I tested on 4 different sites! How to increase it?

The text is fetched from the source site metatags (description, og;description, twitter:description) if they put in 140 characters, then only 140 will be fetched, if they put in 200 then it will fetch 200.

2 / where to find the file to translate the part in front-end in French?

they are two locations where language files can reside: in the language directory or in the components language directory: ./components/com_ochgotnews/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_ochgotnes.ini

You can copy that and put the translated version in the 'global' language directory

My opinion
Apart from the problem of the recovered text, it is simple and it works well.
However I find that it is problematic to have a different component from com_content.
Indeed I would have liked:
***** compatibility with all com_content compatible extensions
**** use the joomla layout
*** organize content with joomla tags
** use other custom fields of joomla
* do not use categories (because limited to 1 category)

it is compatble with content plugins as it triggerd these on the content. It also triggers the beforeDisplayContent, afterDisplayTitle, afterDisplayContent events. It identies it setf not as com_content and that is not possible. plugins expect a data model when triggered and the data model for ochGotnews is different then for com_content.

There is a reason why I didn't build on com_content, the purpose of this component is to quickly add curated content from other sites (just like on the Facebook / LinkedIn timeline). com_content is to 'bloated' as this is not designed for high volume of small articles.
One of my customers has 80.000 com_content articles imported from news sites: the load on that server is very high. He nees to plan changing content as saving an article will remove all articles cache: this breaks his server when he has a lot of visitor and the cache needs to be recreated (just one of those use cases where com_content hasn't been designed / though over very well: this is a Joomla Core 'issue' that nobody will run into, unless you have a a lot of articles.
I have created a new site for him where articles are imported the ochGotNews way (so optimized for speed and extensibility). We are now over 1.000.000 (!) articles and the site is still running very fast and without any issues.

There is a cost for having categories, tags, custom fields, etc.

3 / In short, my suggestion would be to extract the core of the functionalities to integrate it into com_content. Is it not possible to make it a plugin to do the "Validate Source URL and fetch information" and add the few fields (custom field?) Necessary?
It's already a unique extension but it seems even more powerful to me?

see above.

4 / less important but more ergonomic and easier to use for a new submission from a new internet user;
put the text to be written/shared at the end of the form. The first time I saw the form, it did not encourage me to propose a new one!

Regards

i tried to follow the following logic derived from what people do on Facebook and linkedin: they start typing text, add an url and post
So ochGotNews:
first lets you type the text (add value to the source link)
then it lets you add the link the post is about
you click fetch from source (something that Facebook and Linkedin do automatically)

and you are ready to save it.

ochGotNews works with Joomla layout files, so you can change the layout of the form (rearrange the fields etc.) to better fit your use case.

The topic has been locked.