Research K2 Extra Fields Support

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #1291 by Nathan Morrow
K2 Extra Fields Support was created by Nathan Morrow
Hi there,

Love the ochOpenGraph plugin and I'd love to use it on a couple of large sites I look after that are using K2 - massive sites so too big to migrate back to Joomla core with lots of extra fields in play.

So just wondering if there's any chance you'd considering adding support for K2's extra fields in the same way you do the core Joomla custom fields?

Thanks

Nathan
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Nathan Morrow.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #1292 by Ruud van Lent
Replied by Ruud van Lent on topic K2 Extra Fields Support
Hi Nathan,
thanks for using ochOpenGraph.

I would need to investigate if this is possible. With the Joomla Custom Fields it is as 'easy' as calling a helper function to fetch an image for an article. I do not know if K2 is as open as Joomla is.

ochOpenGraph also supports Custom Images, I have introduced these before the 'birth of Custom Fields.
These could also be used to use specific images for articles (on any component). That would probably mean uploading all images in a specific filename format. Not sure if this is an option?

Anyway, if you have a test site that I can have (ftp) access to i could investigate how it works and if it is doable (or if there are other clever options).

I can do that in the last week of august as I am packing for holidays as we speak :)

More
3 years 8 months ago #1304 by Nathan Morrow
Replied by Nathan Morrow on topic K2 Extra Fields Support
Hi Ruud,

Sorry for the slow reply, been a busy week!

K2 has built in Image and Text fields and I'm guessing i'm hoping they can be used.

Unfortunately the two websites I'd like to use it on have over a couple of thousand articles each so I don't the Custom Images folder would be very practical... really needs to be something we can set within each K2 article.

I'm just finishing off some updates to our Stage site so once that's complete, happy to provide you with admin and FTP access so you can have a look... will let you know when it's available.

Hope you're enjoying your holiday!

Thanks

Nathan

More
3 years 8 months ago #1308 by Ruud van Lent
Hi Nathan,
I am back from holidays and drafting up my todo for the comming time. Ready when you are to see if we can get this firgured out.
regards,
Ruud.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #1342 by Nathan Morrow
Hi Ruud,

My very sincere apologies... for some reason your forum notification went to my Junk box and I've only just found it while clearing it out.

I have no doubt missed the window of opportunity on your To Do list but I'd still love to progress this at some stage so let me know if that's an option and I can provide you with access to the development site... I've added the email to my address book so won't miss any further notifications.

Thanks

Nathan
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Nathan Morrow.

More
3 years 6 months ago #1345 by Ruud van Lent
Hi Nathan,

no problem, with the amount of spam messages being sent on a daily basis it is just a matter of time before a legit message gets marked :)

as said: ready when you are :)

You can sent me URL and credentials to your test site via email, we can take it from there.

regards,
Ruud.

More
3 years 6 months ago #1352 by Nathan Morrow
Thanks Ruud.

I've a couple of things to configure on the Dev site so I'll send you the details via email in the next couple of days.

Thanks again.

Nathan

More
3 years 6 months ago #1353 by Ruud van Lent
Cool, take your time!

More
3 years 4 months ago #1456 by Nathan Morrow
Hi Ruud,

I know you're very busy at the moment and have taken on the subscriptions component so no rush at all on this, but I just wanted to check that you did get my email a couple of weeks ago with the access details - was sent 25/11.

Cheers

Nathan

More
3 years 4 months ago #1457 by Ruud van Lent
Good morning Nathan,

I got your email and 'parked' it, then I got 'swamped' :)
Thing is: K2 is really a beast to tame, it decided to support all joomla versions (even the very old ones) and there fore the code in my eyes is very hard to read. So trying to figure out how and why K2 does what it does is no light task. That means probably 'hours' of investigating.

I have to weigh that to the benefit which is high for you, but since you are the only one asking for it, it probably is low for me :silly:

So yes, it is still on my list, and yes the forking of RD-Subs currently takes all my free time. So yes I will be having a look at it, but currently it is not a priority.

I probably mentioned it before, but with ochOpenGraph you can have custom images (in advance settings) also for K2, but then you have to have a directory with these images and the images should follow a name syntax:

Custom images:
You can set custom images for both the OpenGraph Metatag and the Twitter Card Metatag. Please specify the folder(s) and image name where:
{id} is a place holder for the Joomla article, K2 item or EasyBlog post.
{catid} is a place holder for the category.
{component} is the place holder for the component (com_content, com_k2, etc.)
{view} is the place holder for the (component's) view (article, item, category, featured, etc.)

e.g. images/twittercards/image_{id}_tc.jpg (file name = image_123_tc.jpg (for article with ID 123)
or When you e.g. use both Joomla articles and K2 items (which can have the same ID) images/twittercards/image_{component}_{id}_tc.jpg (filename = image_com_content_123_tc.jpg for Joomla article 123)

Important: file and folder names are case sensitive! These images will NOT be checked for minimum width / height requirements!